Smart inverters come into play by solving most of the problems of the traditional grid system. Since smart inverters work autonomously, they have a positive impact on the implemented residential sector as well as the national power grid. The traditional grid requires constant maintenance due to the stress, but smart inverters could help to address these localized challenges and grow the flexibility of the system. Smart inverters let two- way communication with utility control centers. In addition, advanced capabilities such as voltage and frequency sensors allow smart inverters to detect grid abnormalities and send the feedback to utility operators.
Smart solar inverter solutions enables the smart and cost-effective designs for industrial and small utility-scale PV power plants by maximizing energy yields even in challenging landscapes and locations.
The smart Inverter will have more DC overloading options, flexible MPPT channels, fuse- less or in-line fuse options, wireless communication systems, mobile friendly APPs etc. With the mentioned features systems will have reduced clipping losses and provide extra generation (kWh) than the conventional PCUs.
Some of the key feature of Smart solar Inverters are,
- Built-in String/Zone monitoring option with SCADA and Mobile communications through wired/ wireless network
- GPRS/ Ethernet/ direct communication options
- Built-in Auxiliary Power supply and DC UPS systems with battery for Inverter operations (in central inverter range)
- Insulation Monitoring device with digital measurement of insulation value
- Ground Fault detector and Indicator with adjustable pre-warning alarm and trip level + Negative Grounding Fuse protection
- IV Curve monitoring at string level for individual DC inputs
- May include telecom wireless communications systems with coverage area of 100 + meters